According to the National Air Duct Cleaners Association, air ducts should be cleaned about three to five years on average. Your home’s location, your pets and the length of time you’ve had your air filters—along with many other factors—can influence the amount of time between cleanings. How can you tell if it’s time to have your ducts cleaned? We’ve got some signals that you should keep in mind.
Look for these clues:
1. When your vents are fully opened, do any have less adequate airflow than others?
2. Can you hear a sound other than your blower motor when you focus on the airflow?
3. Is there anything blocking your cold air return vent?
4. When you glimpse inside with a flashlight, do you see a buildup of debris or fuzz from your pet’s hair?
5. Have bugs or rodents made a home in your ductwork?
6. Are your cold air returns layered with dust or pet hair?
7. Are your registers driving out dust?
If you replied “yes” to any of these questions, it’s likely time to reach out to Controlled Comfort HVAC Inc in Carpentersville about air duct cleaning.
Prolonging Time Between Air Duct Cleaning
While professional cleanings are important, there are actions you can take to maintain your ducts and extend the time between professional cleanings.
Most importantly, schedule periodic HVAC maintenance with the experts at Controlled Comfort HVAC Inc. Annual inspection of your furnace in the fall and air conditioning unit in the spring will keep your HVAC system running at peak performance. Examining your system often and replacing the air filter when needed will also help keep your ducts clear.
Additional ways you can help manage your ducts:
• Seal air duct leaks that let dust in from places such as your attic.
• Check your air filters regularly and switch them out when required.
• Regularly dust and vacuum your house.
• Replace air duct insulation if it is in bad or moist condition.
Keeping your ducts clean will help you make sure the air in your Carpentersville home is clean. Don’t forget to use these preventative measures and schedule a professional duct cleaning when needed. Call the experts at Controlled Comfort HVAC Inc at 224-412-8308 or make an appointment online.