Spring is in the air here in Carpentersville and that means vacation plans are around the corner. While you’re sorting through what you need to pack and take with you, don’t forget what stays behind, your home. The Controlled Comfort HVAC Inc team has some recommendations that will work to keep your home secure and help save some money on your utility bills while you enjoy a well-deserved vacation.
- Install Timers - Timers are an economical way to make your home seem as though someone is home by turning off and on the lights as if you never left. It’s a wise idea to program your lights to sync up with your typical schedule.
- Enlist the help of a house-sitter - If you have a dependable friend or family member, ask them if they’d mind stopping by and [[checking in on|check up on|look over]18 the house while you’re away. There’s no greater comfort than a text while you’re out of town letting you know that everything at home is perfect.
- Wait to share - We aren’t going to say not to share photos of your amazing sabbatical on social media, but try to put it off until after you are back to post photos of your trip. Family and friends presumably already know you’re leaving so there’s no reason letting potential criminals know your itinerary. Everyone will be just as enchanted by the wonderful things you saw after you safely return home.
- Hold the Mail - The USPS has made it more effortless than ever to put a hold on your mail you can do it online right now.
- Unplugged - If an electrical item is plugged in, even if it’s not on, it’s using energy. An effortless way to cut back on energy while you’re on vacation is to unplug a few of your electronics. Something that you may overlook unplugging is your garage door. It will save you energy and it will also be another safeguard for your home.
- Adjust the thermostat - If you’re on vacation there’s no need to keep your home heated and cooled to your comfort level. If you have a digital thermostat you can set the thermostat back to your ideal level so you arrive back to a safe, cozy home.
These are some easy tips to add to your spring break prep checklist, right after finding the perfect bathing suit. If you have any questions about securing your home this season or want to review additional energy saving tips, give Controlled Comfort HVAC Inc in Carpentersville a call at 224-412-8308.