Whether you like winter or desire the warmer months in Carpentersville, a lot of us make adjustments to make sure our home’s temperature keeps us comfortable. This can have a huge impact on your utility costs, but there are steps you can take to bring monthly costs down.
- Look at the weather stripping – After many years, the seals around your windows and doors can crack or become weathered. Walk around your home to pinpoint any drafts that have to be addressed.
- Utilize your blinds – If your windows have blinds, they can be useful in keeping your space warm. Keep them open when the sun is shining during the day, and make sure to close them at night, so the warmer air doesn’t escape.
- Change your filter – Check your filter continually to see if it must be switched out. We suggest at least once every three months, but that period of time can vary from house to house.
- Buy a programmable thermostat – It may seem like just a handy way to make sure your home keeps warm, but programmable thermostats can also save you money! You can fix temperatures to be cooler when you are away from the home or sleeping. Being more mindful of efficiency will help with heating costs.
- Add insulation to your attic – Take a look and see if you have an acceptable amount of insulation. Because heat rises, insulation in your attic is a great tool to decrease the chances of heat escaping.
- Schedule routine maintenance – Just like we visit the doctor to get checkups, your heating system needs to have checkups, too. Hiring qualified technicians to clean and maintain your system will give you piece of mind that your system is running effectively and efficiently. They can also identify small issues that could end up as more costly repairs if ignored.
- Assess your HVAC system – If your utility bills are continually increasing—regardless your efforts to enhance efficiency—it might be time to purchase a replacement heating system. An expert at Controlled Comfort HVAC Inc can help you analyze the performance of your HVAC system and walk through your options for newer, more efficient models.
Not only will these steps decrease the amount of money you are having to spend on heating bills, but many of them can help your heating system operate more efficiently. More efficient energy use also improves the health of your equipment, which means a longer life for your HVAC system.
If you are considering routine maintenance on your heating system or would like an expert to provide more tips on reducing energy costs—we’ve got you covered. Give Controlled Comfort HVAC Inc in Carpentersville a call to get started. Give us a shout at 224-412-8308 or schedule an appointment with us online.